Dhauti Kriya – Dhauti is the normal process of purification of the body. In Gheranda Samhita, Dhauti has been considered of four types, i.e. Dhauti, Ant Dhauti, Dant Dhauti, and Moolshodhana. Through this yogis make their bodies clean.
Table of Contents
- What is Dhauti Kriya? :
- Method of Jal Dhauti or Kunjal Kriya :
- Advantage of Jal Dhauti or Kunjal Kriya :
- Method of Sutra Dhauti Kriya :
- Advantage of Sutra Dhauti Kriya :
- Type of Dhauti Kriya :
- 1. Antara Dhauti Kriya :
- 2. Dental Dhauti Kriya :
- 3. Jihavaarshodhan Dhauti Kriya :
- 4. Karnarandhr Dhauti Kriya :
- 5. Kapalandhra Dhauti Kriya :-
- 6. Heart Dhauti Kriya :
- 7. Dand Dhauti kriya :
- 8. Vaman Dhauti Kriya :
- 9. Varsan Dhauti Kriya (Clothing Dhauti) :
- Moolashodhan –
What is Dhauti Kriya? :
Dhauti is a major method of Shatkarma. This method is also known as Gaja-karna. Gaj is called elephant. When the elephant gets a boil in its stomach, then it inserts its trunk deep into its (oesophagus) cervix and throws out the things inside the stomach. In this way we have got this method from nature itself. This method relieves nausea when there is excessive acidity in the stomach or when you have eaten something indigestible or bad. This method is also able to remove food counter-energy (allergy) and Asthma.
Method of Jal Dhauti or Kunjal Kriya :
Mix one tea spoon of salt in two liters of hot water (400 centigrade). Stand up straight and drink all the water from one glass after another rapidly. Lean forward a bit. Press the lower part of the stomach with the left hand and insert the ring finger and middle (right hand) fingers deep into the throat. Also, take out the tongue so that the vomit comes. All the water comes out again in half a minute.
This method can be repeated every week or twice a week and it is best to do it early in the morning on an empty stomach.
Advantage of Jal Dhauti or Kunjal Kriya :
- It has beneficial effect on high acidity
- anti-energy and asthma.
- It also destroys the odour (of the breath)
Caution : Do not practice it if you have high blood pressure or Glaucoma.
Method of Sutra Dhauti Kriya :
In this method of purification of stomach, a three meter long, 10 cm wide strip of cotton is required. This technique should be first practiced under the guidance of a teacher of “Yoga in Daily Life”.
Advantage of Sutra Dhauti Kriya :
Like Dhauti, this method also purifies the stomach and helps in removing hyperacidity. It purifies the upper respiratory tract and thus removes asthma, dust and pollen allergies.
Type of Dhauti Kriya :
Eight types of dhautis have been described for the purification of the body.
- Antara Dhauti kriya
- Dental Dhauti kriya
- Jihavaarshodhan Dhauti kriya
- Karnarandhr Dhauti kriya
- Kapalandhra Dhauti kriya
- Heart Dhauti kriya
- Dand Dhauti kriya
- Vaman Dhauti Kriya
- Varsan Dhauti Kriya (Clothing Dhauti)
1. Antara Dhauti Kriya :
There are four types of exercises in it.
(i) Pulling the air in through the mouth and expelling it through the anus.
(ii) Cleaning the stomach by filling it with water.
(ii) To increase the fire element in the abdomen by continuously moving the navel region back and forth in the body.
(iv) Cleansing the large intestine by taking it out of the body through the anus.
In fact, purification is very necessary to make the body and mind free from disorder. Various diseases also take birth in the state of impurity. Antara Dhauti means – Antara means inner yaar inner and Dhauti is the work of Dhoonar i.e. inner cleanliness is used in the form of inner cleanliness. There are four types of end Dhauti.
Dhauti means internal cleaning it is done in four ways. The literal meaning of Dant Dhauti is the cleaning of the head region. The meaning of heart is Dhauti. Cleansing of the heart region. Cleansing of esophagus and lungs etc. is done through heart dhauti. The cleaning of the anus, large intestine, urine, ducts i.e. root part is known as Mool Shodana. All these actions are called Dhauti.
(a) Vaartasaarr Antara Dhauti :-
There is a method of rejuvenating the stomach by drinking air from the mouth. This action is also done in Bhujangini mudra. Air is rotated in the stomach for some time. After that the air is slowly exhaled while taking a yawn. Many abdominal diseases are cured by this practice.
Varta means air means Vayu and Sarra means element meaning the purification of the inner being from the Vayu element and Vartasarra is the main objective of Antdhauti. Maharishi Gherand has given the following method of Vartasarr Dhauti in Gherand Samhita. Kakkkshchu Vadarsayaran Pibeddharyum slowly, that is, drink Vaaryu slowly by closing both the lips like a crow’s beak. After it is completely consumed, circulate it in the stomach and then remove that air.
- First of all, sit in a habitual meditation posture
- Keep the waist, head and neck straight.
- Make a crow’s beak shape from the mouth.
- Slowly try to fill the stomach while sharing the air.
- When the stomach is filled with full “Vars” then loosen the body and rotate the air in the abdomen.
- Slowly “pull out the warts from both nostrils.
- By this secret action the body becomes pure.
- It removes Kapha dosha.
- Destroys all diseases.
- Increases digestion power and also accelerates the gastritis.
- Amlar is very beneficial in Pitta.
- Always do this activity on an empty stomach.
- This exercise should be done maximum five times only.
- Older person weak person should not do this exercise.
- If a heart patient or any major operation has taken place, then that person should not do this exercise.
(b) Heiresar Antara Dhauti :-
Varri means water and sarr means element. In this dhaut, the purification of the heart is done from the water element, so it is known as Varrisar antha dhauti.
- This action is also called conch shell.
- Take lukewarm water in a bucket and add salt as per taste.
- First of all, drink two glasses of lukewarm water, then do the following five asanas at a quick pace. Tardarsana • Tilak Tardarsana • Katara Chakrasana • Tiriyak Bhujgarsan • Uttrakhana
- Then again do the above asanas after drinking 2 gillars parni.
- Keep repeating those actions until there is an urge to defecate. (5) After drinking 10-15 glasses of water, when the above action is done, take rest.
The description of the above compound action is going on for you to study only. Do this action only under efficient guidance.
- This is the most important process of purification of the body, its main benefits are-
- By this action, all the digestive institutions are cleaned.
- The waste material (faeces) is completely removed in the body.
- Deity body is attained by this action.
- The yogi continues to become divine, radiant, vivacious like a deity.
- Reduces obesity and body becomes light.
- Always do this exercise under the advice of a skilled, yoga guru.
- In high blood pressure heart disease, this practice is done with fennel water under proper guidance.
- Pregnant women, persons suffering from harm should not do this practice at all.
- Thin khichdi should be consumed after the practice and from the first day itself.
- Since the body becomes delicate due to Varrisara dhauti (conch shell prakshalan). Therefore, do not take any allopathic medicines for 40 days.
(c) Agnisarr Antara Dhauti :-
You will be well aware of the word Agni and Sarr means element, since this practice increases the gastritis and increases the digestion process, so it is called Agnisarr Anthar Dhauti.
- Sit in Vajrasana, Ardhapadmarsana or Simharsana.
- Keep the spine in a straight line.
- Twist both the hearts and keep them in the knees.
- Opening the mouth, take out the tongue and take out the whole “wars.”
- “By stopping the warts out, move the stomach in and out quickly. Efforts should be made that the umbilical region should be on the surface.
- After a few moments of rest, repeat this action again under proper guidance.
- Destroys digestive disorders.
- Makes the abdominal muscles strong.
- Regulates the digestive juices by accelerating the gastritis.
- Beneficial in the introverted state of depression in mental disorders.
- The spiritual benefits of yoga are also helpful in Kundalini awakening.
- In fact, all the activities of yoga have to be done on an empty stomach. So do not do it after meals.
- Highly charred and heart patients should avoid this practice at all.
- It is forbidden for ulcer, loss, asthma patients.
- According to the physical capacity, do it only under the instruction of the Guru.
(d) Bahishkrt Antara Dhauti :-
Bahishkrit is used in the sense of giving up or withdrawing. In this dhauti, the residual air from the heart is expelled through the anus. Maharishi Gherand says in Gherand Samhita 1/21 – that is, fill the stomach with the lips similar to the beak of a crow while doing air-parsing through them. Remove that acquired air by holding it in the abdomen for half an hour (1) and circulating it from the underarms. This supreme secret is called Vaishkrit Dhauti.
- This action cannot be done easily, do it under the supervision of a qualified teacher, otherwise there may be problems.
- sit in a meditation posture
- Keep both the hands on the knee.
- Breathe the air slowly in kaki mudra (similar to covey’s beak).
- Let the air circulate on the stomach for 1 hour. Finally take him out of the undercarriage.
- Abdominal disorders are removed.
- The body becomes lighter, radiant.
- Kundalini power is beneficial in awakening.
- Makes the breeding institute stronger.
The same person should do this exercise, who has practice to stop the war for 1 hour. Only a yogi can do this. Therefore special guidance is needed in this practice.
2. Dental Dhauti Kriya :
In general, you must be understanding the meaning of dante dhauti in the form of cleaning of teeth. But Dant-Dhauti has been used by Maharishi Gherand as the complete cleanliness of the top state. This is the type of dust.
(a) Dental Root Dhauti :-
Dant Mool means the root of the teeth and Dhauti means washing. That is, in this practice, the cleanliness of the root of the teeth is done.
- In ancient times, the method of making tooth powder has been described in Ayurveda.
- In addition to the toothpaste powder, pure clay (which is used in home dressing) or the juice of khardir (catechu) mixed with the soil, clean the roots of the teeth with the index finger.
- Then rinse with pure water.
- This activity can also be done in the morning and after the normal meal.
- By doing this practice regularly, the teeth are cleaned, as well as the pieces of faecal food stuck in the teeth come out.
- If there are blisters somewhere in the mouth, then the juice of Khardir also acts as a medicine.
- Whatever powder you are using (tooth brush, powder, clay) should be finely ground.
- If there is pus, worms or holes in the teeth, then do this exercise only after Ayurvedic medicine therapy.
There is an inexpensive and simple process of making toothpaste. Make a coal by burning the rinds of barium in the fire, then make a powder of that coal and mix powder of pc long, rock salt, neem leaves in it. The use of this powder is also beneficial for the teeth.
3. Jihavaarshodhan Dhauti Kriya :
This process of cleaning the tongue is beneficial in increasing the length of the tongue and in many diseases.
This is a simple process, put butter in the tongue in tapping action. Plastic or steel tongue nibbles are available in the market. Tongue cleaning can also be done with it.
- This action increases the length of the tongue, due to which the clarity of the language remains.
- Tapping of the tongue removes the mucus collected in the throat and warts.
- With this, disease, old age and death can be driven away.
- Khechari is beneficial in the achievement of money.
- Do not do this exercise if you have blisters on your tongue.
- Do not put your fingers in the mouth too much.
- The nails must be cut, otherwise the dirt will go away and there may be injury in the larynx or mouth.
4. Karnarandhr Dhauti Kriya :
Since the process of the ear can be cleaned with this, hence it is called Karnandhra Dhauti.
- Wet your index finger or your index finger.
- After that put it inside the ear and rotate it, you can also use it by putting garlic in mustard oil to moisten the finger.
The ears are purified, there is a feeling of divine Narada, so it also has spiritual benefits.
- Do not do this action with the spleen of Machis.
- The fingernails must be cut.
5. Kapalandhra Dhauti Kriya :-
Kapalandhra Dhauti means that the place on the head of the newborn child which feels faint, it cleanses that place. Hence it is called Kapalandhra Dhauti Dhauti.
The method of this Dhauti is clear, make a bowl with the right hand and fill it with water and gently pat it on the top region of Brahmarandhra.
- Provides coolness in the brain, it is beneficial in cataract.
- Far and near vision defects are removed.
- It is beneficial in cough doshas, cold and cough.
- This dhauti is beneficial in high blood pressure.
- Doing this exercise in summer gives coolness.
Special care is not required in this practice, yet its attempt is prohibited in winters. For young children to do this exercise, be sure to consult a yoga teacher.
6. Heart Dhauti Kriya :
heart and Dhauti means washing. This dhauti cleanses the heart region, food pipe and stomach, hence it is called Heart Dhauti.
7. Dand Dhauti kriya :
Dand means cold and Dhauti means wash In this Dhauti, the inner region is cleaned with the cold of the soft part of turmeric, banana.
- Traditionally, soft parts of banana, cane or turmeric are taken for punishment, but in modern times, rubber sticks are also available in the market. Boil well before using Dand Dhauti.
- First of all, drink 4-5 glasses of clean water (salty).
- Slowly open the mouth of rubber, turmeric, cane (whichever is available) and pour it till the stomach.
- Then lean forward a little, all the water will start coming from the front end of the bar.
- After that, slowly take out the punishment and spit out phlegm, bile, mucus, whatever comes out with it.
- The expulsion of Kapha, Pitta, Kleda takes place by this action.
- Acid pitta, this practice is beneficial in medicine.
- Increases lung capacity, it is also beneficial in heart disease.
Here, the description of Dand Dhauti has been done as a method only, not every person is eligible for this practice, do this practice only under the supervision of a yoga teacher.
8. Vaman Dhauti Kriya :
Vamana means to vomit.
- First of all, without stopping, give 5/7/10 Glasses of lukewarm salty water as desired.
- Then get up and put the index, middle and Ring fingers till the neck and Vomit.
- Take the fingers again inside the mouth, Repeat this action until the stomach is Empty.
1. Cleanses the vision and makes it free from disorder.
2. Removes phlegm, bile, cleaved.
3. Atrin is beneficial in acidity.
4. Asthma patient gets benefit due to purgation of Kapha.
- The water should be clean and lukewarm with salt.
- The nails of the hand should be completely cut.
- Do not do this exercise in loss and back Pain.
9. Varsan Dhauti Kriya (Clothing Dhauti) :
Varsan means the cleaning of the parchan institution is done from it with a strip of cloth. That’s why it is called cloth Dhauti.
- Take a cotton cloth four fingers wide and 3-4 meters long.
- Put it in a vessel (iron glass, bowl) and soak it.
- Holding one end, swallow it slowly and drink clean water in between.
- When the end end is left, then slowly take it out.
- Kapha, Kleda is Expelled.
- This action is a panacea for the asthmatic patient.
- Useful in air disorders, fever, skin diseases.
- Abdominal ailments are removed. The gastritis increases.
The root area i.e. the root part of the body, the anus, gets cleaned by this practice.
Applying ghee from the soft root of turmeric or on the ring finger, putting turmeric root in the anus area is suitable because it is antiseptic, repeat this action two to four times.
- Strengthens the excretory system, by this action the blood circulation in the direction of the pulse and cells is accelerated.
- This practice is beneficial in constipation.
- Apana balances the air.
- This dhauti also provides benefits in diseases of the digestive system.
- Cut off finger nails.
- Patients of piles should be very careful while putting their fingers in the root region.
- Do this exercise only under the advice of a qualified guru.