Kapha Dosha – It is necessary to have the right balance of Kapha in the body along with Vata and Pitta. In Ayurveda, the body is considered to be of three types – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. According to Ayurveda, we all have one of these three tendencies, this dosha is helpful in increasing the body’s strength and immunity. The main place of Kapha dosha in the body is stomach and chest.
Kapha Dosha is made up of two elements, ‘Earth’ and ‘Water’. Kapha dosha due to ‘Prithvi’ has stability and heaviness and due to ‘Jal’ has oily and lubricating properties. This dosha is helpful in increasing the strength and immunity of the body. The main place of Kapha dosha in the body is stomach and chest.
Apart from nourishing the body, Kapha also controls the other two doshas (Vata and Pitta). In its deficiency, both these defects automatically increase. Therefore, it is very important to keep Kapha in the body in a balanced state. Kapha imbalance in the body can also occur due to sinus, lung infection or any disease, headache due to sinusitis, fever, bronchial asthma etc.
Table of Contents
- Types of Kapha Dosha
- Properties of Kapha Dosha
- Symptoms of Kapha Dosha
- Due to increase in kapha Dosha :
- What to Eat in kapha Dosha?
- Kapha Dosha in Ayurveda :
- Symptoms of kapha deficiency :
- Measure of sama and niram Kapha :
Types of Kapha Dosha
Kapha is divided into five parts in Ayurveda based on different locations and functions in the body.
- Avalambaka Kapha,
- Kledaka Kapha,
- Tarpaka Kapha,
- Bodhaka Kapha,
- Sleshaka Kapha
In Ayurveda, the number of diseases caused by Kapha dosha is considered to be about 20.
Properties of Kapha Dosha
The qualities found in any dosha have different effects on the body and nature is revealed from that.
- Kapha is heavy, cold, greasy, sweet, stable and sticky. these are its natural properties
- Also the phlegm is slow and wet
- Talking about the colors, the color of the phlegm is white and the taste is sweet.
Symptoms of Kapha Dosha
- sweet taste in mouth
- always lethargic, excessive sleepiness
- yellowing of the skin
- coldness in the body
- problems with urination and sweating
- looseness in limbs
- Prolongation of Mocus secretion from the mouth and eyes
- Asthma, sore throat, cough
- diseases from head to chest
- aliphaticity, coldness and heaviness in the organs of the body
- loss of appetite
- sweet-salty taste in the mouth
- whiteness of body
- prolonged illness
Due to increase in kapha Dosha :
In the month of March-April, in the morning, after eating food and in young children, the cough naturally increases. Therefore, special care should be taken during these times. Apart from this, Kapha becomes unbalanced due to food, habits and nature. Let us know what are the main reasons for increasing Kapha dosha in the body. Kapha also becomes unbalanced due to food habits and nature.
- Consumption of sweet, sour and greasy foods
- excessive consumption of meat and fish
- Excess intake of things made from sesame, sugarcane, milk, salt
- drinking cold water from the fridge
- Lazy nature and lack of daily exercise
- Consumption of milk-curd, ghee, sesame-urad khichdi, water chestnut, coconut, pumpkin etc.
What to Eat in kapha Dosha?
- Consuming jaggery in the morning or after the day’s meal can be beneficial. Jaggery has a warming effect, it reduces phlegm as well as improves digestion.
- Consumption of things like basil, dry ginger and honey are very beneficial in reducing phlegm, so include them in the diet in any way.
- Eat grains like millet, maize, wheat, quinoa brown rice, rye etc.
- In vegetables, eat spinach, cabbage, broccoli, green beans, capsicum, peas, potatoes, radish, beet etc.
- Eat spicy and hot foods.
- Cook all types of pulses well and eat them.
- Reduce salt intake.
Kapha Dosha in Ayurveda :
- Consumption of bitter, pungent, astringent, dry, hot and pungent substances.
- Walking, running, swimming, yoga, exercise, etc.
- Complete abandonment of comfort.
- Fasting, Mardan, Ubtan, Bake.
- Vamana is the best of all cough medicines.
- Vamaka drugs first go into the stomach and expel the deformed stool-formed phlegm living in the chest from the mouth. Due to the destruction of Kapha in the stomach and chest, which are the main places of Kapha, the disorders of Kapha in different parts of the body get pacified. Chaitra month is best for vomiting.
- Liquorice or licorice is such a sweet medicine for phlegm, which destroys every problem related to phlegm. Licking licorice mixed with honey is very beneficial in case of burning sensation in throat, nose and chest due to phlegm. For elders, powder of liquorice can be used. For babies, the root of licorice can be rubbed 6-7 times with water on the stone and mixed with honey or milk. Liquorice is the enemy of phlegm, keeping a small piece of licorice in the mouth and chewing is also beneficial in lung diseases like asthma, tuberculosis and change in voice. Licking licorice mixed with honey is very beneficial in cough.
Symptoms of kapha deficiency :
It is common to have problems due to increased phlegm, but do you know that some problems can also occur due to lack of phlegm. Yes, if the amount of Kapha in the body is reduced, then the following symptoms are seen.
- dryness in body
- burning sensation in the body
- Feeling of emptiness in the lungs, bones, heart, and head
- feeling very thirsty
- feeling weak and lack of sleep
- Kapha Dosha : cough deficiency treatment
- If there is a deficiency of Kapha, eat those things which increase Kapha such as milk, rice.
- During the summer season, sleeping during the day also increases phlegm, so if there is a shortage of phlegm, you must sleep for some time during the day.
Measure of sama and niram Kapha :
- When the digestive fire is weak, some part of the food we eat is not digested properly and that part remains lying in the body instead of coming out in the form of stool. This undigested portion of food is called “Aam Rasa” or “Aam Dosha” in Ayurveda. Together with these doshas, it causes many diseases.
- When the phlegm is mixed with the ‘mango’, it becomes unhygienic, thick and foul-smelling, sticking to the throat like strings. Such phlegm prevents belching and reduces appetite.
- While Niram Kapha is foamy, light and odorless. Niram Kapha does not stick in the throat and keeps the mouth clean.
- If you are of Kapha nature and are often troubled by the imbalance of Kapha, then follow the rules mentioned above. If the problem is not getting better or becomes severe then contact an ayurvedic doctor.